Thursday, February 4, 2010

Siblings Forever


We opted to give our children siblings; life-long gifts to each other. Their own community in which to grow. Support each other. Be honest with each other. Argue. Compete. Love.

This week I had the rare opportunity to be with my siblings and parents for a long weekend. Just adults. Nothing special happened; we just spent time together. Laughed and gardened. Cooked and visited. It was refreshing to be in the company of people who know me and accept me as I am, with no expectations other than to be in the same house. No tension. 'Lotta love.

My kids are still young. They argue over chores, occasionally lash out and practice their communication skills on each other. Once they reach adulthood they will, hopefully, be past the bickering and just be there for each other. And hopefully, will find themselves with a special connection that lasts for life. One day, at a family reunion, I hope they look around at their children and their siblings and feel glad to have each one. I know I am.

No comments: